View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #157
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Erenor's elvish senses, attuned now to the echoes of the caves and heightened by the battle with the spider picked up the cries in the tunnel behind. Belegorn was not alone against his foes. She remembered her fathers words "We must do our duty and we must obey orders - but sometimes it is our duty to disobey orders.

Bethiril would have to lead the refugees away - if not to safety, at least as far as possible from the trolls. She who was about to break an order gave them quickly and calmly. "go as swiftly as possible but mark your path so that we may find you again all being well - use ranger marks that the trolls may not follow if it goes not so well. I am going after Belegorn; it would be craven to let him face them unaided - but I fear some of our party have already crossed the trolls path. Any who come with me must do so of free will - Angore, I release you from my service. I am no longer Emissary, for the kingdom as we knew it is no more. If you feel obliged to guard go with the Lady Bethiril, who bears no arms - but I think the needs of us all would be better served if you consented to join me against the trolls. " So saying she turned and torch in one hand and drawn sword in the other she ran after Belegorn, aware of feet and voices following her but not of the identity of their owners.

As she ran, her voice murmered a chant the words of which seemed to pass to her lips without the intervention of her conscious mind: she felt guided by something out herself.

"Oh Lady Varda, dost thou watch me even here in these dark tunnels, far from the light of thy stars?" she thought. Though far from the mightiest of the firstborn she was of the Calaquendi, a noldo of a noble house and a power was in her strange to mortals even though they be Dunedain and a light was about her as she ran than was not the product of her torch.

Yet she blanched when she saw the sight that Belegorn had seen shortly before. The mighty captain Carthor, in a trolls grip and several other trolls about him. And some other refugees, a young man, two women and a small child. It was hardly going to be an even contest even if the man was armed ... Erenor hoped she had some followers and they would arrive soon. But there was no time to waste, and moving with speed that no mortal and certainly no troll could match, she attacked. Her fine weapons and speed must serve in the place of brute strength. Her priority was to aid Carthor and hope he was able still to fight when the troll released it's grip. But that was her rational mind... subconsciously she was still chanting, her voice increasing in volume the until the chant echoed around the cave walls. She planted her torch in a wall sconce and soon her blade started to sing it's own strange song as she swung it two handed to meet troll hide with optimum power.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-12-2005 at 09:16 AM. Reason: various typos