Thread: Best Fighter
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #66
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
What about outside influences?

Think of other things going on in somebody's life and mind during a battle.

Aragorn: "If I lose this battle, my world will be destroyed, my foster father will be disappointed, I will be dead, I will lose all chances of spending the rest of my natural life with my soul mate, my friends will be killed."

That's a lot of pressure, don't you think? But even so, look at the comparison for later:

"If I lose this battle, I will have died fighting to save my country, the people I love, and goodness everywhere. And my sacrifice may just give my friends the time they need to succeed where I can not."

Aragorn is arguably the best fighter of the 3rd Age. Not only is he physically powerful, but he has mentally combatted Sauron and come out on top. Also, he has strove with the above thoughts and pressures and still emerged victorious. These stresses alone are enough to break a normal man, but Aragorn cast aside all selfishness and marched to battle, pitying lesser men rather than scorning them, in a diversion that should have cost him everything.

But don't just look at my reasoning and agree with me, because where is the fun of that? Think of the stresses and psychological stuff going on with our heroes, and then relate to me [us] who you think is the best fighter given personal circumstances.