View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 05:11 AM   #1
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Let's learn Quenya on the Downs

This thread has been created in Novices and Newcomers because, when we start learning Quenya, we'll be novices. ("Tenuous link," I know, but it doesn't really belong anywhere else.)

Whilst enjoying myself on the Barrow Downs, I noticed that a lot of us aspire to learn Quenya, you know, some day.

I'm suggesting we make that today. This thread has been created for anybody who wishes to learn Quenya in a group with fellow Downers.

This is how it will work: we will be using the Ardalambion Quenya Course. People should post here with a little information about themselves, and they will be paired off to be "Quenya Buddies" (for the lack of anything less cheesy-sounding).

The advantage of using a Buddy system is that people won't just give up half-way through; you will have somebody to support you. You also won't think "why am I learning Quenya?" (well, not too much anyway) because you'll have somebody to talk to in Quenya.

If you're interested, please post the following information:

Occupation: Student / Part Time Job / Full Time Job / Unemployed / Retired. People working similar hours will be paired together as they will have similar amounts of free time. Students should also post which type of school (Secondary / High / University...) they are in as this affects free time too.

Location: People from nearby countries (US citizens can post States) can be paired off as they live in similar time zones, which can be more convenient. Also, Students' lives differ in different countries; an American will have longer summer holidays and less mid-school breaks than a Briton.

Pace: The pace that you wish to learn at. Some people may be willing to learn quickly, perhaps a half hour every other day, whereas people with busier lives may only want to study for a shorter period of time each week.

Prior Knowledge: If you know any Quenya already, post how much.

Medium: How you would like to communicate with your Quenya buddy. The obvious way to do it would be through PMs, but if both parties are happy to do so, a more convenient Instant Messaging service could be used.

Once a pair has been formed, please delete the post with this information in it. This keeps the thread tidy and uncluttered, making it easier to sift through and find pairs for other people.

So, why learn Quenya? Seems a bit pointless doesn't it?
Well, we all love Tolkien, it's why we're here. Even knowing a little bit of Quenya can transform a reading of The Silmarillion or Lotr: you suddenly realise what "Isildur" means or the significance of "The Field of Cormallen."

Quenya can also help you to learn other languages, as it contains lots of linguistic techniques common to foreign languages.

Finally, by getting to know one another better, we can enhance that sense of community we all feel on the Downs.

TGWBS

Existing pairs:

Kath and TGWBS
dancing spawn of ungoliant and Lhunardawen
Encaitare and Feanor of the Peredhil
Kitanna and Orominuialwen
Arwen Imladris and Esgallhugwen
CaptainofDespair and durelin
Nilpaurion Felagund and vanwalossiel

Last edited by the guy who be short; 08-02-2005 at 12:46 PM.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote