Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #148
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
But even if all these sins have been committed, grace is still granted. Christianity is not about following rules, because no one can possibly follow them all. And besides, breaking one commandment is as bad as breaking them all. To follow Christ is to be forgiven, not someone who follows a load of rules to the letter. That doesn’t mean we can still go out and sin. If you are a true Christian, you won't want to, because it angers God.
So what then exactly is the issue with the Potter series? As I understand it, the books may promote interest in witchcraft and may also blur the lines between good and evil. If all of this can be forgiven (that is, even if one were to become a witch then recant), then why the outrage?

Aren't Christians (I use them as an example as I am more familiar with this religion and group) supposed to "be in the world yet not of the world?" To me this means that Harry Potter and ilk could be used as a way to evangelize, as seemingly there are many people who have read the books. I know that LOTR has been and is used in this manner too.

Thoughts?