View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #60
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A black, ragged tent had been erected in the center of the encampment, and it was here that Glūtkask was sharpening his axe after having had a meager supper of dried meat. The stone against the metal axe head gave off little sparks that quickly faded into ash. Off somewhere he heard an angry howl. He paid it little attention. There would always be skirmishes among his soldiers -- at least, until they were given a common enemy to dispatch first.

In came Lushurd, grumbling loudly. "Pugnacious little slime can't even spend an hour in camp without causing trouble..."

"Eh?"

Lushurd jerked his thumb in the direction he had came. "One of them in my company just stuck a knife in someone's head. That's one less able fighter for us."

Glūtkask shrugged. "What for?"

"Took his camping spot or something. I'd probably have done the same, come to think of it. Actually, I'dve had his head if he wasn't a big one himself," the lieutenant said. "Good in the front lines if he don't kill off half the company first."

"Forget it. It's not important," the captain growled as the other lieutenant, a small and sneaky orc called Kharn, entered.

"Tell you something that is important," he said. "Scout just told me he spied an Elf lurking about. They'll be coming along soon."

"Did the filth see him?" asked Glūtkask.

"He said no."

"Good." The captain hung the now-sharp weapon at his belt and spread out a crudely drawn map. "Now you'll get your tactics, Lushurd. We're behind this circle of low mountains, round the valley." He pointed to the eastern edge of the circle he described. Now, there's a pass one of our scouts that went ahead found. We'll go through there and take shelter behind the outcrops. I want our archers to rain down on them before they even know we're there. Mind you, we're not sending all our forces in case it goes bad, so use what brains you've got to pick out who to send. About a company's worth ought to do it."

Lushurd looked as though he were thinking very hard before replying, "And then?"

"And then if it goes well we go down and finish them off, of course!" Glūtkask said nastily. "Now, attacking a valley's not easy. But it's only a few of the accursed creatures. I reckon everything'll go alright."

At that moment, another shriek sounded; it seemed that there was another quarrel.

"They'll alert every Elf nearby to our presence with all that racket!" Glūtkask shouted. "Go and tell your men that if there's any more noise like that, I'll crush their worthless skulls in."