View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Nice thread, SpM.

I think we should probably consider nationality as well as ethnicity if we're going to be discussing the appeal Tolkien has. I'm of Indian descent, but British myself, so that I have access to both West European and Indic traditions, mythologies, faiths (following none myself) and ideas.

I believe you're correct in identifying the "greatest appeal" as lying within Europe (and North America) - as far as I can recall, there is one Downer dwelling in India and one in an Islamic state (though it's hard to tell where people live, of course). Geographically, I guess Tolkien nuts are denser in the West. But then, consider literacy rates elsewhere too. People in large parts of the foreign world simply don't have the chance to learn to read, yet alone read Tolkien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
Is it simply because, while the book may be popular in these [Catholic] countries, readers prefer forums based upon their own language?
I'd say this is the case. I know of a few French Tolkien fansites, despite Tolkien's opinions on their tongue. The English fansite is naturally more likely to attract native English-speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
As far as I am aware, there are no Downers in China or in any strongly Islamic countries. Is this because the book has little appeal in these cultural traditions, or is this largely a function of language barriers?
As I said, I recall one Downer from an Islamic nation. I would presume the fact can be based on language barriers rather than culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spm
Does the book have any appeal to Hindus, Buddhists (and I know that there are a few Downers who at least have an interest in Buddhism) or among the indigenous people of the Americas and Australasia? Or does its really only appeal to those of the European and/or Judaeo-Christian tradition?
I was born into a Hindu family, but living in Britain I also have a firm knowledge of Christianity. I can only presume my love of Tolkien would still exist, were that not the case. I am an atheist, and I know LotR appeals to a lot of atheists and agnostics as well as to Christians and Jews.
As to the Question of Hindus and Buddhists... well, who can say? I presume that Hindus and Buddhists living in the East without Western influences would simply not be able to pick up a copy of LotR (do translations into Hindi etc. actually exist?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
If so, do you find that there are elements that the book has in common with your own traditions (whether cultural or faith-based)?
I guess I see a parallel with Elven reincarnation and Hindu beliefs, but I can't think of much else. Oh, and Tengwar looks surprisingly like Hindi alphabets, though I don't think that's extremely relevant - all it does is take the "foreignness" away from Tengwar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
Also, does ethnic origin come into it at all?...Does LotR have particular appeal only among certain ethnic groups?
Don't really see why it should... I'd say ethnicity and faith have little importance, whereas geography and perhaps culture do. As you said, these all overlap so much that there would appear to be ethnic and religious differences. But considering that ethnicity doesn't really affect anything about a person, and that people of any religion can (and do) enjoy any book, I don't see any importance there.

Main points:

Geography - People from the Sahara are less likely to have access to Tolkien. This doesn't mean it wouldn't appeal to them. Illiteracy plays a large part - perhaps a huge proportion of Burkina Faso's population would be interested in Tolkien, if they had the opportunity to read.

Culture - Middle-Earth does have more in common with Western culture - the Valar, for example, are more likely to be understood by and appeal to somebody with knowledge of Western history and culture than a Buddhist in Tibet.

I can't help but feel that I've been horribly unclear in this post and failed to get any messages that I wished to across, but I'm not feeling that great, so I excuse myself even if you don't.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote