View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #24
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
For myself, I was always surprised at the strong response Tolkien's work received from committed Christians as it has aways seemed to me to resonate more with pre-Christain culture and belief. It's been said before, but there is a distinct lack of churches, priests and rituals within Middle-earth. Those rituals which we do see are simple, such as Faramir's company looking to the West as a form of 'grace', and this could also signify something to do with honouring ancestors from Numenor.

Tolkien's work also reveres the landscape; those who work with it are considered to be 'good' while those who work against it are not. Creatuires such as the Ents are often compared with older cultures' ideas such as The Green Man and tree spirits, and though carvings of The Green Man are often seen in churches, this is most defintely a pre-Christian symbol. Tolkien seems to direct us towards reverence for all living creatures, including the living landscape rather than rverence of humans.
As one of those committed Christians I’d say that love of creation goes along with love of the creator. And the story resonates deeply with a reverence for the creator. The lack of ritual, aside from what we had with Numenor, is really rather a trivial thing. I suppose it all hinges on how you describe religion, and with was set of eyes you read the stories. But it seems that the way Tolkien writes the stories you can relate it to your own experience and values, whatever that maybe. Though it might turn out a very different story, if for instance you are of the post WWII Japanese mindset, or of Mongolian descent.

I have never quite understood how people can be drawn to the more sinister aspects of the story. Could it be that orc lovers love them out of pity? But then perhaps it is just the same with them, - another set of eyes far different than mine. I could be wrong of course, but it would seem that there are very many differing reasons why people love these books. And with the realization that there is such a diverse crowd on the Downs in relation to background and belief, I do think that it would appeal to a broader group if language/translations weren’t a barrier. Even if it is just a curiosity for someone of a vastly different culture, the stories are good. (Just as one can appreciate the Ramayana with out being Hindu and without necessarily getting the full impact.)

Which brings me to the point that I have noticed quite a few people from the Indian subcontinent on the Downs over the years. Three thoughts come to mind that may have some bearing on India being an exception, things touched upon earlier on, one being that there are many ‘English medium’ schools there, and another is that many of those schools are Catholic. Lastly, is that the English did leave a bit of their culture behind, architecturally and otherwise. It would be hard to say which (language, religion or familiarity) might provide more of a spark to potential Tolkien readers. But I think it is safe to hazard the guess that a good command of English is probably the greater catalyst there.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 08-13-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote