View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 01:07 PM   #41
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Some of the details of tone & treatment are, I now think...mistaken. (Letter 131)
Even if he wasn't being a perfectionist-- and I think he was-- even so, he said some of the details of tone and treatment. That's a long way from saying, the whole work doesn't fit so throw it out. Details are details. To exclude the entire work based on a short list of details doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I might not (if the story had been more carefully written & my world so much thought about 20 years ago) have used the expression 'Poor little blighter.' just as I should not have called the troll William (Letter 154)
Again, these are details, and throwing out the work based on these details alone doesn't make sense.

Quote:
The Hobbit was originally quite unconnected, though it inevitably got drawn in to the circumference of the greater construction; & in the event modified it.
He could have said the same thing about LOTR, which he didn't realise was going to connect so thoroughly to the Sil until he wrote Weathertop.

Quote:
Even so it (TH) could really stand quite apart, except for the references (quite unneccessary, though they give an impression of historical depth) to the Fall of Gondolin. Letter 257.
Saying that the tale could stand apart is not the same as saying it is disconnected.