View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #91
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Bror’s head pounded. The figures in his sight were blurry and it hurt to try to focus. He shut his eyes and shuddered. The Dwarven voices around him grated on his ears and he wanted to tell them to go away and let him sleep, but he thought that it might even hurt to talk, so he remained silent.

After a few moments of lying in what he thought to be perfect misery, his senses became clearer and two voices became distinct. They were speaking near him, one was familiar and the other was quite different than what he had ever heard. At the moment, he couldn’t decide if he liked it or not.

‘Yes, I’m sure he’ll be fine,’ it said. ‘When he wakes up, he’ll have a ferocious head ache, but little other damage. The bleeding was minimal, and nothing was broken. I have to say he was very fortunate. Such a blow as your son described him to have taken could have easily taken his life.’ Bror opened his eyes again and turned his head.

‘There. He is awake,’ the stranger said. A tall form moved slightly towards him. ‘Go on. I’ll continue checking the others.’ Bror shut his eyes tightly to try to clear them of the fog and dimness of everything and then reopened them. A dwarf was approaching him and in a moment, he recognized his father. A weak smile came to his face and he held out his hand as though he were a child. Viss Stonecut made the last few steps to his side and took his hand.

‘Father,’ Bror said raspily.

‘Well, Bror, you met your first battle in a way to be proud of. You saved Riv’s life.’

‘Is he here?’ Bror asked, looking up at him. ‘He wasn’t killed?’

‘Yes, he’s here. He wasn’t killed. He’ll be alright.’

‘What happened?’

Viss told him what Skald had related to him when they had met. All of the battle leading up to the regrouping of the orcs, and how he had seen Bror knocked down and had run to him, frightened that he might have been killed. Bror managed another faint smile.

‘Dear Skald,’ he muttered. Then he sighed. ‘I should have been with Riv. We had most of the Dwarves on our side. Uncle Orin and all the others we had brought with us.’

‘Don’t think about it now. You both will be up on your feet in little time at all. Soon you’ll be quite ready to be back hammering. For now, just rest. I’ll see what I can get you to eat.’ Bror shut his eyes and nodded and Viss drew away quietly.

Last edited by Folwren; 08-23-2005 at 07:50 PM.