View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 01:33 PM   #95
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Cainenyo was unfamiliar with that name, and responded to Sairien's question, "I'm afraid I have not heard of him before. I am an angdan, so perhaps he has purchased some of my wares once before, but I do not remember him." He brushed some dirt from his apron and gazed across the sparkling river. It was now that Cainenyo got a good look at Sairien's face. It seemed to be filled with both grief and joy at once, and all sorts of other subtle feelings he couldn't exactly make out.

"Maegisil, is he one of the city's smiths?" Cainenyo asked, out of curiosity. There were few people in Ost-in-Edhil he had not heard of, and Maegisil was one of them.

"No, he is one of Celebrimbor's counselors. They are close," she said. Sairien sighed and her voice turned more secretive and worried, "Have you heard the rumors of war? I have asked my husband about them, but he won't answer me."

"Yes, I have heard rumors, but I am just as lost as you, "They say that orcs are mustering in the mountains, and that Annatar has betrayed us." Cainenyo felt the worry gnaw at his heart. Would his family survive if the city was attacked?

He and Sairien began to walk together along the dock. A breeze blew from the south, and Cainenyo brushed the hair from his face. It felt good to be able to one's worries and fears. Cainenyo's mind eventually turned to his wife. Alassante only dismisses the rumors of battle as nonsense, he thought, doesn't she listen to the signs? She knows I have forged many more swords these days than candelabras. Why won't she listen? Cainenyo considered voicing his thoughts to his new friend.

"My wife, Alassante, says the rumors aren't true. I hope they're false, but I know that war is coming. Everybody knows. "Cainenyo said. He stared at his feet and the planks of the dock. "What do you think will happen to the city?"

Last edited by Alcarillo; 08-24-2005 at 04:46 PM.