View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #168
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Gollum's song. Hmmm. I think it can't be compared to the awesomeness of May it be and Into the West but as a piece of music, it's very nice. As the credit song of TTT, I don't really like it.

At the end of TTT when the camera raises above trees and shows Mordor, Gollum's song begins. The soft sound of a choir with a terrible and hopeless landscape is a very emotional combination. I get the feeling that Frodo and Sam have just got their courage back but they are clearly walking towards a certain doom. There's no way they could make it.

I'm not actually a fan of Emiliana Torrini's voice but that's not the problem. It's the lyrics that irk me. I don't know about you but I get a little overdose of Gollum in TTT. The whole film is practically all about Gollum. First he's a baddie, then he's scitzophrenic and then he's just a misunderstood chap. The lyrics support the last notion. "No loyal friend was ever there for me..." Huh? Well, if you kill your best friend and move into a cave for a few hundred years, what do you expect? It's also misleading because in RotK it's made pretty clear to us that Gollum isn't that sympathetic character altogether.

About Isengard Unleashed, it's unbelievably beautiful. Love it.