View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #132
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
King Durin calls for counsel . . .

King Durin enjoyed times such as these. He was the third king blessed with the glorious name of Old Durin Himself and he looked with fondness over the gathered families in the Stonecut hall. Good food, strong drink, and the company of hearty friends and companions! he thought to himself. Mahal has surely graced our forges! May he continue to do so . . . he added, gazed slipping fondly from family to family.

He patted his wife’s knee fondly as she listened to the lovely song that Unna had just begun. ‘Youngest boy shows a growing talent with his harp, don’t you think?’ he whispered, leaning toward her. A movement to his left and an insistent calling of his name made him look away before she could answer him. It was young Tori Deepdiger, and by the look on his face it would not be welcome news.

~*~

Before Riv could answer Bror’s questions, a great wave of silence spread through the hall.

The King was standing on the small raised platform where his family sat and had raised his right hand high in the sky. To either side of him his sons stood calling for quiet and the attention of those gathered. The Stonecuts turned their faces to him, dark eyes troubling at what he would tell them all.

Bror looked questioning at his father. Viss leaned toward him, his eyes troubled. ‘It’s the same news that we were discussing just before you and Unna returned to the table,’ he said quietly. ‘And by the looks of the King’s face there will more unwelcome detail than we’d want to trouble us here beneath the mountain.’ He jutted his chin to where the Deepdigger lad had stepped down from the platform and was making his way toward the door. ‘Deepdigger boys drew the patrol about the Western Gate with some of the Brassbeards. There’s been fighting not a league from the mountain. A messenger from the city, bound for King Durin was ambushed by Orcs. Some of the lads tried to drive them off, but they were set on hard by the Orcs, who swarmed against them like vicious ants from an anthole. They near overwhelmed the patrol, who drew back quickly. Viss paused, a hard look in his eyes as he went on. ‘Two of the Deepdiggers were slain. They held back the Orc assault while their fellows found the safety of the mountain and closed the doors hard against the dark foe.’ Viss rubbed his big calloused hands along his thighs. ‘I’d taken a barrel of ale out to the fellows at the gates. And some meat and bread. Old Deepdigger had been brought to the gate by his sons and was just hearing the news. His sons were all for hacking their way through the Orcish mob to retrieve the fallen, but Old Deepdigger knew that naught would come of that save he lose more of his family. Council was taken quickly and I’m thinking that Tori was sent to the King to tell him what had happened. I hied myself back here to let riv and the others know what little I did.’

~*~

King Durin’s face was grey as the stones from which the hall was carved. In only a few short breaths of a man, the evening had gone from one of joy to one of disbelief, anger, and then sadness. But it was resolve now that set his features into deep hewn lines. He asked that the hall be cleared, women and children be taken to their quarters for now, the ale cups put away. The fathers and sons old enough for fighting he would have stay. There was grievous counsel to be heard tonight and hard counsel to be thought on for the morrow.

The story was told in clipped tones how the patrol had encountered the Orcs and how two of the Deepdiggers had fallen. The Elven messenger, the King had learned, had come from Celebrimbor, who feared that soon his city would be besieged. And beyond besieged, destroyed utterly and the Elves there along with it should the Sauron’s armies prevail. It was a surety they would prevail entirely should help not come. There were tens of thousands of foul men from the south, Orcs, and other loathsome creatures who were pouring into Eregion.

‘It is the Elves that their Dark Lord has some particular interest in,’ the King continued. ‘But he holds no love for the Dwarves, either. And once this goal of his is accomplished, who can say he will not turn his eye to us.’ He paused looking over the sea of somber faces gathered about him. ‘I would take counsel with you,’ he said, his gaze going about the group. ‘Celebrimbor is my good friend. And were it only me, I would lend him my axe without thinking. But it is not only my decision. Should we choose to assist the Elves wives will lose their husbands and sons, that is a surety. Perhaps we should just stay safe here beneath the mountain; ride out this dark storm. Strengthen our own defenses for an attack. Make safe our families and our forges.’ He saw some of the men nodding ‘yes’ to this statement; others narrowed their eyes, considering the costs, their minds uncertain.

‘What say you, Dwarves?’