Thread: Curses!
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 09:41 AM   #2
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Put in those terms I do not believe that they would be comparable. They are too different in nature. I spoke of this briefly on the unorthodox hero thread but will do so here too in hopes of clarifying my ideas.

The curse of the Valar came upon the Noldor, specifically Feanor and all those who followed him, because of their actions. It seems more or less a cause and effect senario. Because of the oath sworn and their actions taken they brought upon themselves that doom or curse. It seems that they were able to have good actions that didn't turn to evil, as you stated and yet when people tied themselves in they brought upon themselves the same doom. However, "bringing yourself in" is not merely having some role in the Silmarils fate, I give Beren as an example. He was not under the curse as Thingol became. I think it was because of his intent and desire.

The curse of Morgoth upon Hurin and his kin is entirely different in that it is localized to one small group and is given evilly, not justly as was the curse of the Valar. Turin received this curse by no action of his own. Therefore it was not justly given and any ill result of his actions, if well intended, could not be held against him.

If we are talking sheer scope the 'curse' of the valar would be more powerful in that it covered hundreds of years and many people. Also, the 'curse' came from the Valar and essentially from Eru but was given in justice due to their actions so Eru is more powerful than Morgoth.