View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 07:57 PM   #143
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Cainenyo and Arenwino were now leaving Celebrimbor's palace, with his announcement still lingering in their ears. As the crowds were going their separate ways, a new sense of dread now filled Cainenyo's heart. An army of twenty thousand? Cainenyo imagined the slaughter for a brief moment and the city burning. Now he was genuinely afraid. He wondered if the dwarves would come to the city's aid, or perhaps Gil-Galad was on his way with a dazzling army of spearmen, or if there was no hope at all and all friends had abandoned the city. And where would he go? Where should his family hide? How soon would Ost-in-Edhil become a memory? But Caineneyo's thoughts were interrupted.

"I want to fight," Arenwino said. He looked dead serious.

"What?" Cainenyo said, "No, no, no, my son. You will go with your mother and sister. I will fight." He was surprised that his son would say such a thing, but as he listened he realized more and more that his son was a man now.

"Father, there's nothing else for me! I cannot become a celebdan without Celebdur, and he was killed by orcs! Let me avenge him, father, and let me protect my city!" His hands moved through the air in wild gestures. "There is no possible way for me to start my own business. Becoming a warrior is the only option available!"

"But my son, you cannot throw away your life like that," Cainenyo kept his voice calm, "I will fight. You have the rest of your life ahead of you. You will get married and have children of your own. None of that will happen if you are killed in battle."

"But I must, I want to," Arenwino's voice wavered for a moment, "I don't want to be the only one of my friends to not fight, to never have killed an orc! And what if you are killed in battle, father?"

"Then I will still have a son as my heir, and to take care of my widowed wife in her grief." Cainenyo's voice took on an angrier tone, "And your death would be worse than mine. I have lived a successful life, with my own wife and children. You still have time to wed, and to raise your own family." Arenwino opened his mouth to interject. "End of discussion!" was Cainenyo's rapid response.

They walked the rest of the way in cold silence.

Last edited by Alcarillo; 09-24-2005 at 08:31 PM.