View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 06:08 AM   #14
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Well, this thread certainly took off while I was away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
All this despite the fact Paris is the younger brother and the lesser warrior-Hector is embarassed by him and says "would that the earth might yawn open and swallow him on the spot" to their mother! He also reprimands Paris for his cowardice and slackness twice in Book VI.

Just something to ponder on...all translations by Minocher Dinshaw, Oppidan Scholar, Durnford House, alias guess who...
Cool. Thanks for the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
We're talking about the Osgiliath scene in the Extended Edition, right? The flash-back in TTT? Because I always thought that Boromir had the finer armor.
Boromir's armour there, Faramir's armour in RotK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
But the best of the armour would be the one of Faramir, if they were to fight on their feet that is. Boromir's armour would be to heavy to fight with and he would get killed quit fast, plus it looks like he is allso wearing a chain mail!
Time for a history lesson, Rune.

No armour ever made was too heavy to fight in, with the exception of some tournament armours that were specially-reinforced to make sure that the chances of the jousting knight being hurt by the impact of the lances were miniscule. Some of those suits weighed up to 150 lbs or more, but the average weight of a full plate harness was about 60 lbs (mid-13th century full maille was slightly heavier), which is about the same amount a modern soldier's helmet, body armour, load-bearing gear (with ammunition, rations, etc) and weapon weigh.

Now take into account the fact that modern soldiers will often wear and be expected to move around wearing hundred-pound backpacks in addition to all that....

Quote:
As for Bormir sure he could take quit many hits compared to Faramir, but he would have trouble reaching his fighting potential becourse of the limitede movment his armour would allow him. (allso making him an easyer target for accured hits as he would move slow) He would also grow tired quite quickly and easyer to kill.
The first law of medieval combat could probably be rendered as follows (in fact, Malcom Barber stated as much in The Warrior Monks) In close combat, an armoured man will rip a non-armoured man to shreds.

The thing is, I know you think that armour was slow, clumsy and cumbersome to wear into battle, but that's as false an impression as assuming that medival swords weighed ten or more pounds.

Medieval armour (and Gondorian armour follows the pattern quite closely) was designed to be as flexible and light as possible while maximizing protection. A knight in full cap a pie armour, trained to wear it like a well-fitted suit of clothes, could run, jump, turn cartwheels, sprint over short distances and even perform handsprings. A warrior in half or partial armour like Boromir would be even more agile.

*sigh*

I'm going to have to dig up some armour links for you to read up on.

Quote:
That is why plated armour was only used on cavalery in the medieval days,
Plate armour was generally used by anyone who could afford it. Among other things, it's impervious to arrows, despite what the films would have you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir of Gondor
Oh dang, I thought we were talking about Faramir's armour in Minas Tirith versus Boromir's armour in Osgiliath...
We were...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir of Gondor
I thought, in that case, that Faramir's armour was kind of like the case with Hector and Paris--ceremonial versus practical, which made no sense because he was riding off to war.
According to the commentaries, they wanted Faramir's armour to look like it belonged to someone important, without making it to similar to the men he would lead into battle, building on Faramir's humility, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Well, there was nothing practical or sensible about Faramir's suicide attack on Osgiliath.
Quite.

I might add that it's quite remarkable that they went out without benefit of either lances nor shields, something no action by medieval armoured cavalry was ever undertaken, so far as I know.

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote