View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 05:14 AM   #188
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
The first 55 seconds of this track make me feel horribly uneasy. It's a really unpleasant part to listen to but it fits nicely to the film. I bet those Gondorian soldiers were feeling a bit uneasy, too, while keeping watch in Osgiliath.

At 1:15 begins a theme that is titled as "Minas Tirith Song" in the sheet music. I love the majestic part from 1:38 to "Mithrandir's Song" (~2:00) and Ben Del Maestro's solo. My favourite has to be Gondor's theme, though. It gives me shivers when at 2:53 the d minor chord (the sheet music has no f in that chord so there are just d and a, but anyway...) turns into Bb major. I wish they had played that whole theme louder so I didn't have to turn the volume up every time I'm watching that part of the movie (though I should probably blame those people who mixed and mastered the score).

I think the brass are an excellent choice for Gondor. As a country which has fought for ages against Mordor, it's theme should have enough feeling of an ancient and noble culture and the bold wind instruments do that perfectly.