Thread: Eldarion
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2004, 01:11 PM   #23
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Symestreem, I understand the word Now in the sentence 'Now all those who have the blood of mortal Men, in whatever part, great or small, are mortal', as meaning 'Until now'; which is supported by this comment of Christopher Tolkien to the text I quoted previously:

Quote:
9 - It is to be observed that according to the judgement of Manwë Dior Thingol's Heir, son of Beren, was mortal irrespective of the choice of his mother.
Quenta Silmarillion; The Lost Road and Other Writings - HoME 5
In my opinion, the main half-elven problem is that there is a difference between 'biology / genetics' and 'doom'. That Dior is mortal (doom) doesn't mean that he is a man (biology); he is a half-elf (biology), because his father was a man and his mother was an elven woman (half elf and half maia).
Dior was the only heir of Thingol, being the only son of Lúthien, and that is why he was the king of Thingol's people, and he was a half-elf, I don't see any problem here, but I may be wrong.

Quote:
Does anyone know what relation Nimloth was to Celeborn?
At least in one of the versions of the Silmarillion, Nimloth is the great granddaugther of Elmo, the youngest brother of Thingol; and the niece of Celeborn (HoME 11, The War of the Jewels). It is said that Elmo remained in Middle-Earth with Thingol, and I assume that Nimloth was born in Doriath, in Middle-Earth.