View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 02:30 PM   #2246
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Gerdy Chubb

"How long will we be staying.... Well, herm. That's a hard one to answer Master Tim, and that's for sure. We won't be leaving before we've made ourselves a few customers, but we can't stay so long that we neglect our regulars back home. So it's a balance we need to strike."

"Well," Tim ventured again, "can you guess?"

"Guess?" Gerdy's eyes grew wide at the thought of such a daring move. "I daresay I could guess, but how right would it be, that's the question! But if it's a guess you want, then it's a guess I should give you. Let me see," he fell to pondering for a while. "Well," he said at last, "we can't leave and go back home today so the earliest we'll be going is tomorrow, as we can't travel at night neither. As to the longest time we could stay, well, we could -- I suppose -- stay here and run the business by letter with the occasaional visit back home, but then our families would miss us by and by... I guess the longest we could stay would be a month or two. So that's my guess: we'll be leaving sometime between tomorrow morning and the end of two months from now!" And he beamed at Tim with the conclusiveness of his statement.

Fordogrim Chubb

"Ahh, the Innkeeper!" Fordogrim said, bowing low (which brought his head dangerously close to Aman's foot). "I was wanting to make your acquaintance. And let me say that I understand your position entirely, I do that indeed! I'm a businesshobbit myself and wouldn't like if someone else starting giving away their wares on my front stoop, not a bit of it! So have no fear, Mistress Aman, have no fear. If my ales do well here then you shall have the profit by it too!" He stuck his hands into his pockets and lowered his voice, obliging the tall woman to stoop to the ground to hear him. He assumed a conspiratorial air. "If folk hereabout like my ales and as want to drink them, I am a-willing to give you the sole right to serve them up, and" he added hurriedly, seeing that this did not move Aman to immediate glee, "for the first six months" he looked at her face once more and then spoke again "for the first year, I shall be happy to offer you the ale at my special family rate! Now how can you say anything other than fair to that, eh?" And he stuck out his hand by way of making a bargain.

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 10-06-2005 at 03:58 PM.