View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 08:51 AM   #60
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Eru baby

Obviously we could move this particular topic to another thread, but, seeing as this is the second to the last chapter where the ring acutally exists, ill throw down here. It's an interesting discussion about the ring. What's more interesting to me is how so many different angles people take on the works. Its why I love this website. So, into the fray....

OK well, I dont ever mind being in the minority on any debate - but - I have to say whooooahhhh folks slow down.

A couple of things first:
In the context of the story, I do agree that many of the players do imply, bestow, and otherwise conclude a will towards the ring. If I were immersed into the drama I would as well, I suppose. Especially if I had no understanding of the craft or technology or history. How would a peasant from the middle age view a computer or an Apache helicoptor, or (and a closer analogy for this age) - the computer at NORAD that controls ICBM nuclear missles (that, oh by the way, has super malevolent evil software programming)?

Since the author chose not to have the reader have any 1st or 2nd person experience of the main protagonist (Sauron), then the ring benefited or inherited the main protagonist role. It's a genious effect, but lets not run away with it.

Quote:
If the Ring could sense the Nazgul, what possible reason could you propose that it could not sense Gandalf?
Well, both the Nazgul and the ring are creations of Sauron, possibly there might be something sensed, but the sensing is from the Nazgul IMO.

Quote:
If the Ring felt the presence of Gandalf, than he might have felt te presence of Galadriel.
See? My point here is that look what conjecture does. Why is the ring a "he", and not a "she"? Well, since you have already granted sentience, why not?

The ring to me is both a study of power and of evil. Its in the ring - yes - but the bearers of the ring is where the action is. All the little slips and turns that are being used as examples for sentience to me show only Eru's subtle hand in events as Lalwende's quote is suggesting:

Quote:
Because I think that the losing and finding of the Ring is more to do with Fate, and less to do with the Ring itself choosing somebody; surely if the Ring can 'choose' then it might have chosen more suitable bearers for its own purposes?
The ring slipped off Isildur's finger while he was swimming in a river. Cursed by the evil intentions of the ring, wanting a more evil bearer? Cursed by fate that knew that it should have been destroyed forever on Gorgoroth? Or, did it simply slip off?

At this point, it's sitting in the sand at the bottom of a river. Its a piece of metal. Like my power saw unplugged. All the potential in the world, but nothing really, but some metal. Only until my saw becomes plugged in is when the purpose of the saw begins. Of course I could cut my hand off as well as make a table, or an heirloom cabinet with it, or mabye I just need it to trim a 2X4... Its the same with the bearers to me. All the will and sensing and sentience doesnt come into play until the ring gets it's bearer, and with the bearer comes good and evil and fate and choice...

But back to Lal's quote, which to me is the best argument. After Isildur, its found by Smeagle, then Bilbo and on to Frodo. Curious that the hands of Halflings are the bearers. They apparantly are the only species alive in ME that had the intestinal fortitude of goodness that could actually bear the ring and not claim it. I see Eru's hand in that, not the ring's will.

Last edited by drigel; 10-10-2005 at 08:55 AM.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote