View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Overall, I do like the prologue. It was cohesive in having to introduce and explain in a relatively short amount. Even my family members who haven't read the books caught on easily enough, at least good guys, bad guys, evil ring etc.

A couple of things:

1. The scene showing the three elves having their rings with Galadriel in the forefront and Cirdan and Elrond blurred out, I wonder why Elrond (Hugo Weaving) wasn't used. The men were already blurred, so what was the big deal in Elrond not being there?(BTW, Alatar, I'm lost on the signifigance of one of the men having only one eye. Maybe a foreshadowing of Sauron's one eye?)

2.The first shot of seeing Sauron after he successfully forged the one ring and is holding it up, his armour makes him look like he's got a big ol' fat beer belly. Sure there are and have been heavy set evil rulers of the world, but it doesn't seem to work for Sauron.

3.I just love the sound of the line "But they were all of them deceived". I even used it in my werewolf game.

4.As far as the implode/explode of Sauron after having his fingers and ring removed (yes, it should have been only the ring finger), it kind of shows really how greedy for absolute power he was to the detrimant of himself. Sauron had tunnel-vision and didn't stop to think 'maybe I'm putting too much of myself into this object, man that would suck if I lost it'.

5.I think the biggest disservice of the prologue is that Bilbo really did come off looking like a thief. He finds a ring and someone is yelling 'lost, lost, my precious is lost'. So what does Bilbo do? Hurries and puts it in his pocket with a look of 'I hope I don't get caught'.

Last edited by Holbytlass; 10-19-2005 at 07:33 AM. Reason: grammar
Holbytlass is offline   Reply With Quote