View Single Post
Old 02-16-2003, 03:32 AM   #42
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Hullo again, Bill. It's nice to cross posts with you again, even though to do so I must bear the public exposure of my mistakes.

Quote:
Darn it! Why don’t I notice these threads when they are new? Oh well.
I share your frustration. You're clearly more qualified than a lot of us, myself most definitely included, to comment on doctrinal issues, and it's a great relief to have someone come in and clear up some of the theological mess that I've made. You have, as you are no doubt aware, exposed my shameless pontification on the subject of Catholicism: I am duly chastened and admonished, and thankful to be placed on the right track.

Truth to tell, I've re-read my post several times, and have always been unhappy with the section of it that you quoted: I feel unqualified to be talking about the Church's attitude to anything, but I wanted to try and make two points: firstly that Tolkien's writings weren't ruled by his religious beliefs anything like as much as many people believe, and secondly that what he appears to be driving at is that love and commitment are a great deal more important than any ceremony.

I should, perhaps, have made it clearer that my comments about marriage were indeed intended as an expression of my personal views, and that I was looking at it from a sociological rather than a religious point of view. Of course to a practicing Christian it is vital to make these declarations in the sight of God, so that the union can receive the divine blessing; but to society in general, particularly the chattering portion that delights in judging others and finding them wanting, it's a mere observation of the proprieties, which becomes less and less essential every day. You are quite right to say that this is irrelevant in Middle-earth, where religion is based a great deal more on personal piety than organised ceremony.

I stand corrected also that Tolkien's divergence from Catholic tenets was major rather than minor. I find it not a little ironic that one of my few attempts at caution in my discourse should have so damaged the accuracy of my comment. This only serves further to underline the point I was making that Tolkien was not consciously trying to write a Catholic work at all, but was an author who just happened to be a Catholic.

As for my dreadful howler over sex, marriage and Catholic doctrine, I am entirely to blame. Whether or not your church is projecting its image correctly is completely besides the point, which is that I posted without reading around the subject as I should have done, and am in great danger of causing very justifiable offence. I certainly intended no criticism, constructive or otherwise. I actually considered removing that part of my post entirely at one point, but let it bide in the hope that I might be right. Clearly I was not.

I can only extend my heartfelt apologies to anyone who was offended or misled by any of my errors, and particularly to you, Bill, as a very lucid and convincing spokesperson for your faith.