View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
My, some people are greedy indeed. More stories? I’m only just starting the Silmarillion and thus have many stories to enjoy still. I’m feeling a bit lost as it is.

Honestly, I don’t think more is really necessary. Tolkien provided me at least with ample material to muse over for a very long time. If there were more, I would fear to lose myself completely in his already complex and elaborate world. Partly, I agree with Mr. Underhill, there is nothing like reading a book for the very first time (especially Lord of the Rings and this is for me an only too recent memory) and discussing and analyzing will never be as wonderful as just sitting down with a book and allowing yourself to be drawn into a whole new world. On the other hand, there is nothing quite so disappointing as quantity over quality in literature. It’s good to leave some things to imagination.

Besides, if another secret and hidden manuscript does turn up, you would still be in the same position after finishing that. All things must come to an end eventually.

Quote:
(maybe The New Shadow Tolkien started writing then abandoned because he wasn't happy with it?)
Well, if he was not happy with it, we probably would not be either. Maybe someone else will continue writing the history of Middle Earth in the future. Though I normally dislike comparisons, if you consider that Tolkien was really an historian (okay, so he invented a whole world and history, but the old Irish monks basically did the same), it is only natural someone would take over at a certain point. Of course, it would never be the same. But it would certainly be interesting. ^^
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote