View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Tough choice. Throughout the entire journey we hear Boromir constantly talking about going back to the White City. That's really why he went with the Fellowship, to go back to Minas Tirith and Aragorn was to come with him. Though these plans change dramatically. But, up until his death Boromir makes it pretty clear that he's going to Minas Tirith.

Now, if he hadn't died, and Merry and Pippin were captured (I'd have to assume he's wounded and ends up not being fatal), his plans may have changed a bit.

What we see with Boromir is the classic Anglo-Saxon Laws of Compensation. That is if you want to be forgiven, and "compensate" for the "bad" you have caused.

1) Commit a sin- Trying to take the Ring from Frodo

2) Be sorry, and ask for Forgiveness- "I am sorry. I have paid, forgive me."~Departure of Boromir.

3) Where the Compensation comes in, according to Anglo-Saxon law, you would either have to pay money, or sacrifice your life (hence compensate)- Boromir doesn't have any money, so he sacrifices himself to try to save Merry and Pippin.

4) Finally the Holy man must declare you forgiven- Both Aragorn and Gandalf can be seen as "representations of holiness" and they both declared Boromir "forgiven/saved"

So, I guess where I'm getting to is if Boromir wants compensated for his crimes, he would probably feel obligated to go after Merry and Pippin. Once this is done though, I doubt he would go much farther. He's needed in his city and his plan from the beginning was to go to Minas Tirith whether people would go with him or not.