View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 04:23 AM   #32
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
But how can we make a judgment on The New Shadow as it now stands? The one thing we know is that Tolkien's work generally underwent a myriad of changes. The "original" LotR with its hobbit guide in boots (Trotter) and a character like Bingo is light years away from what eventually emerged.

Given the way Tolkien approached writing, I don't honestly think we can make any realistic judgment on the shadow . If it underwent as many changes as the early chapters of LotR, it might have turned out very differently, with a much "higher" tone. I just wish I knew what the author had in the back of his mind when he began to write those pages.

Fordim - I'm not in total agreement with your assessment of the later Tolkien. I find the character of Andreth amazing as well as her discussion with Finrod. What I would give for the tale of Andreth the Wise Woman's failed relationship with her beloved Elf! She is potentially the strongest female character that Tolkien developed. I would love to have more.....