Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
I was going to vote Yes. That was until I read Esty's post. Very nice points, Estelyn.

I'd like to add to, and somewhat reiterate, what she said. First, that Eru does not seek a personal relationship, which is the core of Christian belief. The main difference then is the fact that God became incarnate and walked among us. It is debatable that Eru's presence was in Middle-Earth for a short time(s), but I think I've just heard that somewhere else on the 'Downs (I know I've never read it myself).

But here's another difference. God is a Trinity. Eru is not. You could say that Eru is more like the Father within the Trinity, but you cannot say he is the Son or the Spirit. But even saying that Eru is like the Father is wrong, because the Old Testament tells us that God was active in the world, long before Jesus' birth. Whereas Eru is very 'stand-offish'.

I'd reason that Tolkien meant for Iluvatar to be akin to God, and to be the god of Middle-Earth, but he did not make him the same God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Eru is not God. And quite frankly, I wouldn't trade creators with the people of Middle-earth!
I agree completely.