Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #49
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Ah, well... if that's the question, then you've forgotten the agnostically cheerful third answer: "It makes no difference whether he is or isn't."

Seriously though, you pose a tough question. If you were to ask "Is that flower pink?" you could look at it and say "Why certainly, and a lovelier shade of whitish-red I've never seen." (note that this question does not work on a blind men) But the question you ask, Professor Hedgethistle, is more along the lines of "Is that small Irish man clad all in green with a shillelagh in his hand and a wee pile of gold in his pocket a leprechaun?" In order to answer that, you must first contemplate "Well... are leprechauns real?" You know that the little Irishman is there, just as we have Eru to work with. The problem is trying to correlate what you've got to what you aren't entirely sure about. Do you see the dilemma?

So if you were saying "Does Tolkien think that Eru's God?" I'd say "I think so, yeah." But since you're asking me, I have to put forth the point that well... perhaps both Eru and God are fictional creations/projections, so maybe they are the same. Then again, maybe I'm as blind as the man who can't see pink.
Fea is making sense and is thinking along the same lines with me, but she has just figured out farther the thing than I have. I agree with her.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote