Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 11:16 AM   #139
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There's been so much writing since I was last on here that I don't really want to read it all. So I won't, but I would like to say one last thing before going.

It is my understanding that Tolkien wrote about M-E and fashioned it so that Great Britain could have a mythological backround. If this is the case, this would be far before Jesus Christ was ever around, but also before anyone ever knew about God.

If that is the case, then I don't believe that Eru would be the equivilant of the Christain God, Jehovah. Tolkien (don't anybody leap on me because I'm about to write as if I actually knew what he thought, which I don't) wanted one god over all of Middle-Earth because it just made sense. However, he put many other gods below himself to take care and form the Earth - these gods, or Valar, were the gods of water, air, plants, and all the other things, much like the Romans and Greeks had, or the Indians and Chineese and whoever else have mythology and made up gods. I mean, he wanted his mythology to be like the other old ones, that is to say, he fashioned them after the old works (many titles have been brought up here).

And I'm not writing this down very well, but see here. God doesn't apoint different angels over all the different things on Earth -weather, sun, moon, what not - but directs them all himself. The Valar did all that kind of work. Eru remained far off and distant, watching the Valar and their progess, but really taking little part in it most of the time. That is different than God ever was, even before Jesus came. God did talk to his people BC, and he didn't leave their fates in the hands of his subordinates.

This post is a bit unclear - had a late night last night, but it's all I can give you just now.

-- Folwren