Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 12:39 PM   #140
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
If Eru is God, then he is Tolkien's God, and he seems to ahve had a very tortured and idiosyncratic relationship with God. Firstly, Tolkien obviously endured immense mental suffering during WWI seeing his friends (and other men) slaughtered ostensibly for no good reason. Looking at the quotes davem has already posted, this is clear. Secondly, Tolkien undoubtedly had more than spiritual reasons for being a Catholic; it was his mother's religion and was important to him for this reason. It could have been said to have been his own 'precious', as it linked him to a loved parent.

So it appears Tolkien had a God he loved, and a God with motives he struggled to fully understand (of course none of us can ever truly know of any other person's relationship with God so we can only take evidence from what is written). This latter God appeared to demand blood sacrifice, like Odin (I think it was Fea who first mentioned this), and was not forgiving, not gentle. This God only seemed to offer a living Hell. I don't think it's coincidence that Tolkien stopped going to church during the 20s. He clearly had a difficult relationship with God and came to understand Him as a God who demanded not just worship but full on blood sacrifice.

Look at what happens in his work. This is a God who is not worshipped, whose only relationship with his people is to demand their lives every now and then (Numenor, Frodo) for the greater good. What Frodo goes through is very much like what the young conscript goes through. He is sent off to fight, to complete a suicide mission; he does not fully comprehend what will happen to him and only at Mount Doom does he realise what fate has in store for him. Against the odds he survives but only just, as what he ends up with is pure torment and Hell. He gets no reward. For all we know, his going off to the Undying Lands may as well be like taking his own life. We know he is mortal and going there is unlikely to change this; at best he might get a little comfort before he dies, but no reward of returning to his former life, no reward of going to 'Heaven'. What hapens to Frodo is horrible.

Yet what happens is compatible with the God that Tolkien knew, as he was inscrutable, sometimes incredibly cruel, but could somehow not be rejected. The other noticeable thing about this God is that he leaves the people to sort out just about all their problems and there is little intervention. For all the god it does the people, they might as well not have Eru. It demonstrates Tolkien's very difficult relationship with God. Where others who had been through what he went through entirely rejected God, he held onto his belief, seemingly only just, but at the expense of knowing a good God.

Looking at it from personal experience, my father rejected God after trauma, and says he would like to believe in God but cannot. I on the other hand believe in a God (though what I call it I don't know, although I know it is not trinitarian) but I cannot see the point in a veangeful or cruel God as I believe "Hell is other people". Anyone who has been through Hell may come out of it the other side with an idiosyncratic view of God, and this is what happened to Tolkien. Looked at this way, one of the major themes of his work may be the struggle to deal with a veangeful God who you cannot let go of.