View Single Post
Old 06-01-2002, 10:16 AM   #19
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Tigerlily, I have myself been on tours where some ignoramus said something really stupid... often my mother-in-law. I was on a cave tour where someone asked"How much of the cave is underground?" and, surprisingly, the tourguide answered"I'll have to ask my suprevisor" I think some of these are people who just didn't think before they opened their mouths.

I know I'm not the most educated parent out there, but as a parent, I feel it is my duty to not only help my children earn their education, but more importantly, to spark their interest in the subjects they are learning. If they have a question I try not to give an "I don't know" answer (that my parents would have given.) If I don't know We'll find out... together. This has made it (I believe) much more interesting for my children to learn.

This is, I believe, the attitude Bilbo had in education Frodo (and Sam).The desire and interest in their world. The desire to learn about their world. It is what set him apart from the others in the Shire.