View Single Post
Old 06-01-2002, 09:57 PM   #27
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

Quote:
Human nature is a fickle thing, and some have debated that it does not exist at all.
Thank you, Karl Marx.

Quote:
But sometimes (and this is a rather painful truth) it is not the system that needs reform but the people in it.
And that is the fundamental reason why I don't believe that any amount of reform is going to make the least bit of difference in this problem. Any time that you have human beings you are going to have all sorts of complex and unsolvable issues because that is just the way that humans are. I've read far to much to believe that there is no such thing as human nature. People have always been inclined to be ignorant, lazy, complacent, greedy, and usually uncaring about anything else as long as they are fat, dumb, and happy. You read history and you see the same things happening over and over and over again. The attempts in the 20th Century to create a new human through ideology were failures. Partially because the ones trying to effect this change were also human who were driven by their own greed for gain and self-aggrandizement.

Of course with science...well, why don't you read Brave New World to see what that would be like. But I'm not convinced that even biological tampering would really change human nature. I hope I don't have to find out.