View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #54
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Three miles, the next sign said. Then two. Then one. Finally, Wilhelmina spotted a shiny sign which garishly welcomed her to Edge-Where. "Smashing!" she exclaimed. She might have done a little victory dance if her feet hadn't been so tired from all the walking. 'I wonder where exactly I'm supposed to go,' she thought, 'and more importantly, how I'm supposed to get there.' She chose to leave it to chance, which had served her relatively well thus far.

Edge-Where was a misty place, but that did not seem to deter the large number of shoppers she saw as she moved deeper into the area. Everywhere she looked, people were eagerly buying everything from rap CDs to lima beans to mice. One mall boy was begging his mother to get him a small nuclear bomb. "Now, now, Phineas," his mother was saying. "I already told you, no more nuclear devices this week."

'What a horrible name for a child,' thought Wilhelmina.

Up ahead was a sign that read 'Edge-Where BliddyUnnerground,' and from behind it emerged four familiar figures -- or three emerged, rather, and one was being carried. As Wilhelmina approached them, she was sure that they were fellow members of the Offending Party.

"Hey!" she called, coming to meet up with them. "Well, look who's made it: Mardil, Sai, Alli--" she raised an eyebrow here, wondering what had happened to her, "and Panakeia. Everyone but the Dwarf and... er... Waldo. Or something like that. So, does anyone know where we're supposed to find Anakron?"