View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 02:50 PM   #66
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
I guess that could somewhat, somehow, perhaps, maybe, kinda, sort of..... explain the elves in Helms Deep?
I've read the same point made about Elrond sending his sons to the aid of Aragorn in the book & his sending of Elves to aid the Rohirrim in the movie to show that the Elves haven't entirely given up on Men (& by extension on Middle-earth itself). I think the idea that the Elves are completely detatched & unconcerned with the fate of Middle-earth, & are leaving it to Men to deal with Sauron in practical ways - I've said similar things myself in the past. I think its probably a bit more complicated than that.

The Elves play the part they are capable of playing. I just think they have become so detatched over time (apart from the 'Great' like Galadriel & Elrond) that when push comes to shove they aren't all that capable of doing much beyond 'self-defence' (which is what I think we see behind their defence of Lorien & Galadriel's overthrow of Dol Guldur). Certainly the movie Elves are a more dynamic & active force than the Elves of the book, yet I accept their 'detatchment' & struggle to engage with a world that is changing beyond their capacity to deal with it does come across at Helm's Deep, where, let's face it, they prove almost incompetent. Their arrival may be impressive but once the battle starts they do little other than die tragically.

The more I think about it the more 'successful' I feel Jackson is in communicating the final days of the Elves in Middle-earth through episodes like Helm's Deep. Of course, Legolas' superhero antics overshadow that conception somewhat, but the idea of the Elves as not just tragic figures, but also as a spent force, wanting to recapture old glories but incapable of doing so - in fact capable only of leaving Middle-earth (by dying there or by taking ship into the West) does come across.

(Can somebody help me revive SaucepanMan - I think he's fainted? )
davem is offline   Reply With Quote