View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir
I'm not really bothered by Arwen replacing Glorfindel. In fact, I'm not really bothered by many of the inserted Arwen scenes through the movies. I think it was important for Jackson to establish a "love background/story" between Arwen and Aragorn, and sort of intersplice in the movies.
My major complaint is not with the insertion of Arwen into the story, it is the over insertion of her throughout the story and this is a perfect example. Why not quickly introduce Glorfindel as an Elf-Lord and given him a quick spot at the Council of Elrond? Arwen is no warrior and she doesn't ride to adventure...she is no Eowyn. It wouldn't have taken longer. I really would have liked them to stay true to the book in this instance and have Glorfindel put Frodo on his horse and Frodo cross the Fords alone. This would also have saved us from the wretched "she-elf" line. Then quickly introdcue Arwen during Rivendell and show her love for Aragorn there.

One other question. Why does Aragorn shun his past? I don't recall him being ashamed of being Isildur's heir in the book, in fact he seemed to be rather proud of the fact. But here (I think in this sequence) we get Arwen saying "You are Isildur's heir, not Isildur himself. Why?