View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 04:16 AM   #261
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Mithalwen's post

No one had slept much for what remained of the night. "All in all it has been quite a day" Losrian thought wryly. Ondomirė had not let her sleep because of her head wound, and instead, as they watched over the the children (who they had eventually managed to settle after all the excitement), Losrian had discovered that the Osanwė-Kenta was actually quite easy if you had the right motivation. Aside from the precious details she was learning about her meldisse, she learnt that the dwarves would depart at first light and knew that she wanted to make her farewell to Skald at least.

As the glow of dawn first coloured the mountain tops, Ondomirė went to resume his duties and Losrian, sporting an extremely colourful black eye but as clear headed as a maid so newly and deeply in love could be, roused the children and led them over to where Skald was making up his pack.

"I did not want you to leave without us saying goodbye, Skald, and without thanking you" she said softly. The dwarf turned and looked up at her. Her silver hair was gilded by the new sun and, despite her injury, a light was in her face that gave her somewhat solemn features a serene beauty. She had come along way from the grimy and careworn girl who they had found in the hut a fortnight ago he thought and he knew the transformation wasn't down to a few hot meals, a wash and a change of clothes. The relationship between the refugee girl and the Captain of Archers was second only to troll attack as subject of discussion in camp and there was no point in denying it even if she could conceal her joy.

" Thank me? I should be congratulating you - you have got a good man there, even if he is a st...."

"Stuffy elf? " Losrian completed the phrase for him for she had heard the dwarves jest while sharing their watch but she grinned for she could understand it. Ondomirė felt so much and showed so little.

"Still waters run deep" she said thinking of the moment of their reunion last night He had made no dramatic gesture of sweeping her into his arms but had conveyed intense emotion with a simple clasp of her hand in his.

Then she added mischievously "And I am so very glad I didn't shoot him - but really I must thank you, your advice was good as was your example ." She smiled down at Galmir who was taking a final chance to indulge his fascination with dwarvish beards. "Maybe things would have been otherwise, if I hadn't learned to look outward." In other words " if you hadn't made me realise how selfish I was" she thought and winced.

"I do not know if the fates of the world will allow us to meet again, for our path takes us ever further from Khazad-dum and the halls of Durin, but I would give you this as a token of our friendship and my gratitude". She placed in his hand her own cloak pin, a garland of flowers and leaves.

"It is unworthy as a remembrance of the Mirdain for it is but an apprentice piece - yet it was the best my craft could manage at the time and my later skill was devoted alas to the implements of war." Losrian sighed, then smiled "I wanted so much to be a mirdan and now the only jewels I care for are Ondomirė and Galmir. "

"If our paths cross again I hope I may give you a finer example of our craft - as it is this serves only to prove how the dwarves surpass the Noldor in metalwork." She grinned again. "But I do not expect to have much time for smithying for a while - other than what is necessary to help in the building of our new dwellings. These living treasures are far more appealing than metal and stone." She smiled at Galmir and Isilmė who were now in the arms of Skald and Bror respectively. Bror she knew had found the little girl by her mother's body.

"And maybe you will add a few more treasures to your collection once you're wedded" Skald added mischievous in his turn.

Losrian blushed and mumured "These two will keep me busy enough to start with," but the accompanying smile confirmed that the thought had already occured to her .

And then it was time for them to depart and Losrian gathered up the children and took her leave of Skald and his brother. "I hope you return safely and find all your kin safe and sound.... my nephew will miss you but yours will be glad to have you back...."

The trio stood and waved until the dwarves were out of sight. And so ended the closest association of the Firstborn and the Children of Aulė that ever existed in Middle Earth.

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-30-2005 at 03:29 PM.