View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry, forgot about the phial being in the regular version - thanks for the correction, Essex.

I will agree with Boromir88 regarding Gimli. Think that in FotR we have a balanced dwarf, both comic at times and yet thoughtful and reflective. Same might be said of Legolas, as he doesn't have his bow out all of the time, and when listening to Gimli speak of Galadriel's boon, he just simply and warmly smiles. Sometimes I get the feeling that, like other makers of a second movie, PJ sat in the theater with the audience and noted when they reacted. "Hmm...they liked when Gimli cracked a joke, and they oohed and aahed the deadly Legolas. Will have to include moreMoreMORE of that in TTT."

Crazily enough, PJ's depiction of Boromir is the best of all of the characters, and he's in only half of the first movie. Aragorn is a little too standoffish, and even his scenes with Arwen don't really make me feel like he's a real guy. Frodo started off well enough, but then after he starts whining I just can't feel for him anymore. Sam's okay, but the other hobbits aren't really that interesting. Gandalf is great, that is, except when PJ makes him the boogeyman, but we left him in Moria.

I'm going to say that Boromir is the best character in FotR. PJ exceeds the book with this character, as again as I stated previously, I can identify with him and really feel the weight on his shoulders - do the right thing, or do what my father has asked?

And in regards to Lothlorien, I too found it to be a little too black. Stars at night are pretty, and so if that was what PJ was trying to capture, then he missed it here. Understandably, how do you show the audience Frodo's experience when he touches the bark of the tree? Think that PJ could have used some scenery hints from Ridley Scott's Legend (sans Tom Cruise, of course ).