Old 01-21-2006, 12:51 AM   #16
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Maeggaladiel's Character

NAME: Fion

RACE: Men

WEAPONS: Well-used wooden bow, quiver of arrows. One plain hunting knife.

APPEARANCE: About 5'9". Dirty-blond wavy hair, usually pulled back into a ponytail. The meagre beginnings of a beard marks his chin. Gray-blue eyes. A somewhat muscular build from years of farmwork, but not overly so. Fion is stuck somewhere between lanky teenager and adult, and he has been trying to push himself towards the latter.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Fion is somewhat naieve, and an idealist. He sets out from his home ready to save the world, not expecting the world to laugh and kick dirt in his face. He can be over-eager to help people and can become sidetracked easily. He tries to play the role of the gallant knight in shining armor, and is easily delfated when people give him a dose of reality. He is, however, loyal and honest, a quick thinker, and an excellent shot with the bow.

HISTORY: Born and raised on a small farm, Fion has known no other life. He has dreamed of traveling to Edoras, though, and wants to become a Rider of the Mark. Most of his life has been spent working on a farm with his father and younger brother. Through his various roles as "delivery boy" for his father, he has proven himself a swift rider and a trustworthy messenger.

When the orcs began their advance on Rohan, Fion begged his father to let him fight with the adults. His father refused, saying that a farm boy with a bow could do little good in such a battle. When the call for messengers went out, Fion approached his father again and demanded to go. His father finally agreed, although hesitantly. Fion was elated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maeggaladiel's post

The hall went silent as the call for volunteers rang out. Fion looked up at his father. The broad-shouldered man stared out over the sea of frightened faces, his own sun-worn face an expressionless mask.

Fion grimaced. Why so few volunteers? This was an important job! This mission required endurance, knowledge of the land, and speed on horseback. It practically screamed for Fion's involvement. Why, he could do this with his eyes closed!

There was a voice from the front of the hall, and people were nodding at him. That was when he realized his hand was above his head. Oh...

"Fion!" his father hissed in anger and shock. "You fool, what are you doing?" He grabbed the boy's arm and forced it to his side. "You cannot do this!" But it was too late. The boy's fate had been sealed.

"He's naught but a child!" his father protested to the people around him. Fion, feeling rebellious, pulled away.

"I have seen ten-and-seven summers; that is enough!" he said. He jutted out his chin, wishing that his "beard" was more than short blonde dandelion fuzz.

"And I am the fastest rider around!" he added proudly. "You said so yourself!" He held up the worn hunting bow. "And I can hit a bird's eye in the dark!" A mild exaggeration, but boasting never hurt.

His father stared at him, his expression odd but unreadable. Fion shifted uncomfortably.

"I can do this," he insisted, pleading with his eyes. "Please, let me try. If I don't go, we could all be in danger."

There was another long silence. His father stared hard at Fion; the boy tried hard to return the stare. After a moment, the elder man sighed.

"Do what you must," he said. Fion, wanting to prove himself mature enough to handle the task, refrained from letting out a joyous yell.

"I'll make you proud," Fion said. His father grasped his shoulders.

"You already have."

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-25-2006 at 04:07 PM.