View Single Post
Old 06-28-2002, 05:14 PM   #42
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Tolkien

Ya know, even the bickering about Balrog wings, or lack thereof, was more entertaining than this.
I think of it this way: Tolkien created a complex, detailed world, with many complex, detailed characters. Different people, with different definitions of greatness may read about these characters, and develop their own opinions and ideas regarding each and every one that are based on their own individual values. If one feels very strongly that Finrod Felagund, to make an example of one of my own favorite Elves, is the greatest of the Eldar because of his self-sacrifice, one may very well bristle a statement akin to: "Tolkien says that's not the case, so shut up."
I think that an author's ownership of his work, once that work is made public, lessens to some degree, therefore we should be allowed to have our own opinions of his characters, while applying to them our own unique definition of greatness, and without being told that our thoughts are irrelevant. Furthermore, If Tolkien's definition of greatness is just what obloquy says it is, then it somewhat different from mine.
However, I thinks it's cool that a writer who's female characters were mostly in the background would state that Lúthien Tinúviel is the greatest of the Eldar. And I don't think it's because she was the most beautiful either, though beauty seems to have been of great importance to Mr. Tolkien in regards to his female characters.
Oh, and burrahobbit, I think that Galadriel was hotter than you give her credit for. Remember how Fëanor went wild for that hair of hers? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
So she was the largest of the Eldar? I always imagined her as petite.
Hey now, Mr. Barrow-Wight, tall women can be pretty too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]