View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #36
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Nogrod, I think you make a good point about the relationship of Aragorn and Boromir. Boro is indeed the one who extends his hand, and 'Gorn always seems to want to draw back.

Of course, we know from the book that in their youth, Boromir's father Denethor was very hostile to Aragorn, and this may partially account for his reticence. I also think part of it has to do with Aragorn being introverted. Note that he can be very aggressive when he chooses (think Frodo at the Inn), but not here.

And, there may also be some pride involved. Aragorn is a self-deprecating figure ("The same blood flows through my veins. The same weakness."), and ironically, that's usually a sign of pride, not humility.

Aragorn's not willing to automatically make friends with a man of Gondor, the very kingdom he is destined to rule, because 1) this guy does not accept him, 2) this guy's father hated him, and 3) this guy shows early signs of being drawn to the Ring, the fault of Aragorn's ancestor Isildur and the fault of Men. Okay, so there's three reasons at least. Maybe pride isn't involved. What say ye?

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote