View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #29
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush
Fairy tale survives through its own logic and its own archetypes. Don't bring in the real world to justify the absence of females in the Fellowship...
I think I see your point here. I see a point, anyway, though it may not be your point, if you know what I mean. I really am not sure, and forgive me for that.

My only argument to what I believe you have said can be that because a fairy tale survives quite on its own, detatched from boundaries or laws or logic or achetypes or justification of the real world, it could also survive without any genders in it at all! Perhaps the only reason there are two genders in any fairy tale world is to make intimate relationships a little less baffling...

And you of course could simply avoid overly vehement arguing over this by directing any questions to the simple notion that Tolkien created Middle-earth's gender archetypes in a way that did not allow room for a female in the fellowship, and so it must simply be accepted, because, in the end, it is his story. But, not only do I not like the sound of that, but it seems to carry the ghostly visage of a canonicity debate...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote