View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #475
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Honestly, if I'm not reading Tolkien, my fancies tend to lean to Sci-Fi.

For example, while I enjoyed Tad Williams' Osten Ard trilogy, I found Otherland to be much better.

I've read fantasy by Orson Scott Card: Enchantment, among others. My favorite OSC, however, will always be Ender's Game.

Sometimes I fear that fantasy authors get too caught up in cashing in on Tolkien. Fantasy novels just feel like long strings of Tolkien clones, but without the depth, and the magic, that gives Middle-Earth its fascination. I have occasionally been fascinated by other fantasies, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that have the power to hold me in the same way.

EDIT: One major exception: Steven Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle is amazing (the first book is Taliesin, if anyone's interested in finding it). However I have tried a science fiction tale by the same author and have never read a worse thing in print. I also have a soft spot for Mercedes Lackey, though I am sure her novels will rot my brain.

Last edited by JennyHallu; 02-22-2006 at 08:14 AM.
JennyHallu is offline   Reply With Quote