View Single Post
Old 08-21-2002, 09:52 AM   #13
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Since I started this thread, I'd better throw in my opinion. Thank you, everyone, for your answers. They're very interesting.

This is not an easy question for me. I can name many things that I am willing to give my time and money to accomplish in the hopes that a better world will result. But to do what Frodo did? Just think about it. It would be taking something on that has the potential not only to kill your body, but to corrupt your soul/fea. That is a dangerous thing.

I mean I don't want to spend the rest of my life as a Ringwraith! I think that's one of the things that made Frodo so "unique" as a hero. It would be almost as if, in order to fight an evil thing, a piece of you would have to be continually exposed to that evil. In a way, that's what Frodo did. Because of the strength of evil, and the fact that he was vulnerable just as any man or hobbit would be, a tiny piece of him had to become evil.

So, is there any cause or person, I would put myself into that situation for? Yes, I think so. It would be a personal thing. Something that would directly threaten my close family and friends, particularly my children. For them, I would stick my neck out that far. If I knew that Ringwraiths were headed to my house unless I left, you better believe that I would race out of there, just as Frodo fled from the Shire in order to protect it. And what might happen next is anyone's guess.