View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 11:00 AM   #9
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Of course, alatar, you're free to advocate shunning active resistance, but I don't see the point.
Active resistance? I think that we know where that will lead (read the Sil). My activity is survival at almost all costs. I'm using the insect model. Camoflague, so that we cannot be detected, and generalization, where any group can restart the colony.

We saw Fingolfin fall, and though the Naugrim were brave, Glaurung's fire still burned in Beleriand. And what did Hurin's bravery buy him?

Quote:
There is a Norse saying "A brave man dies once, a coward many times." Destruction will come to the Noldor, flee they ever so far. Best to weather the storm!
Another said, "Dead men tell no tales," and I would had, 'have no children.' A prudent person realizes that some pursuits are futile, and so adapts. As you sit in the Halls of Mandos you can be reading about my peoples in the future (I'll send progress reports), and we will sing songs about your brave dead. Thanks for giving Morgoth something else to do so that he left us alone.

Quote:
I suggest-build up grand alliances with Elves of whatever stamp, if at all possible. Swear an oath of mutual respect (like that sworn by the Greek princes of the Iliad). Foster connections with Men and Naugrim. With unity, the free peoples of Beleriand could have been greater than a thousand Valarin relief forces!
And how is this different than what occurred? With all of those alliances and the ilk, someone does something 'wrong,' and the lies of Morgoth start to take hold, then suddenly it becomes a big mess. Wasn't that the Nirnaeth Arnoediad?