View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #71
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Finally saw LWW. We'd taken the kids to an indoor waterpark, and, as is our tradition, we rent a movie for them to see while in the hotel. The kids had seen the animated version of LWW more than a few times, and so the story, characters, etc needed little explanation. Note that my children, being my children, all have watched the LotR PJ films. Also note that I read LWW somewhere back in the depths of time, and am not a big fan of Narnia.

Some points of interest (or not ):
  • The kids thought, when the movie started with the Blitz, that it *was* LotR. No clue.
  • Mr. Tumnus creeped me out. Not sure if it's his resemblance to Elijah Wood's Frodo or the fact that he wanted to kidnap Lucy.
  • The kids liked the beavers and other talking creatures.
  • Edmund seems to be beat up a bit, and to me is more sympathetic. Older brother Peter could be a bit more understanding and wise, and even when these two siblings reconcile at the end, I would have preferred a 'hug' or a shoulder slap to the joking comment.
  • The death of Aslan wasn't as scary as the cartoon version.
  • With the exception of the "jump-out-and-scare-you" things, my children, aged 6 years and less, didn't find the film spooky at all. No nightmares, which was a plus.
  • Lucy receiving a dagger was saddening.
  • I too got a bit fixated on the gapped teeth.
  • The battle scene at the end was whitewashed, unlike TTT and RotK, but as I guess that this film is aimed at children, that would be expected. It wasn't as good (well shot or emotional) as in LotR, but that could be because I'm not a child and that we never really 'zoom in' to the battle. For example, I couldn't care less if that centaur dude got stoned by the White Witch, but Haldir's death still saddens me.
  • Although already noted, I too saw 'Uruk at Helm's Deep' in the minotaur at the last battle.
  • Did anyone else think about the "Footprints" Jesus parable when Aslan walks up the beach at the end?
  • The coronation at the end was anti-climatic. The girls of the house would like the crowns and the dresses, but the ceremony meant nothing to them. My one daughter would have preferred a marriage ceremony. And, of course, the boy would have stayed at the battle playing with swords.
  • I noted that when the Witch Witch fights Peter, using two swords after her wand/spear is destroyed by Edmund, that she really looks like she can swing the swords and that was cool.
  • I found Santa Claus unexpected (forgot that) and inappropriate. Talking horses and beavers and witches and swords, and now for something that not only is pretty pedestrian (Santa sells cars) but slowing to the film.

LWW is a good film, but it's not as good as PJ's LotR, but it's apples and oranges.

Last edited by alatar; 03-13-2006 at 06:07 PM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote