View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #11
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'd given up on the Entwives, and if Treebeard really can't remember what they specifically looked like...And think that I commented on this in the SbS, as Peter Jackson adds a little ent lore to The Two Towers, but come on. Was any other race so doomed to extinction? Not only can the Ents not remember the Entwives, but they also forget to go back and visit for a billion years or so. As far as we know, the entwives crossed with elves or humans and begat the Hobbits - not that I have any evidence, but am only adding 2+2 to get 22.

The Blue Wizards, like Saruman and Radagast, went native and so stayed to play in Middle Earth. With the little information known about the blue two (noted above) one is free to speculate. Possibly they are 'the great evil' of the Fourth Age?

Saruman's ring is also intriguing. We know that he made a ring, and also that he had access to a palantir, which presumably could see across both space and time. Did he watch the hands of Annatar and the elven smiths? Not that that is 100% helpful, as I can read (and rewrite) Bęthberry's posts but still cannot recreate her style of posting (and hopefully no one would ever want to emulate mine ). So even if Saruman could watch the making of even the One, he still lacked both the skill, the individual talents and the superhot furnace of Sammath Naur.

But he made something.

One then needs to look at Saruman's personality to discover what kind of Ring this being would desire. A ring that begat control? That read person's minds? That increased one's cunning and skill in making things? That hides one from other's scrutiny?

Another thought: Was the reason that Gandalf the White easily bested Saruman of Many Colors due to Saruman's Ring? Do rings, in their making, require a bit of the maker, subtracting from the maker's original power (i.e. Sauron)? Are rings both givers and takers, and one hopes to be lucky enough to stay on the plus side?

And here are my thoughts on old Tom.

Last edited by alatar; 05-04-2006 at 01:02 PM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote