Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq09
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladan and Elrohir
You are precisely right. I will gladly shell out as many bucks as necessary for the extended extended super deluxe Lord of the Rings to end all Lord of the Rings set, or whatever they want to call it. And I will remember my question. Right now I only actually own the theatrical DVDs (and I only bought those used for eight bucks apiece a couple weeks age because I'm such a cheapskate), but I'm eventually going to get the collector's gift sets. Right now, I only have the extended editions because I'm borrowing them from a friend.
My point is that in my experience, directors and the ilk tend to lead off with their best film in the theatrical version, or in the extended version if the theatrical version is reduced due to external constraints. After that they are slapping footage together just to state that new unseen unreleased scenes are present, driving up the hype and the price. Some of the unseen hits the floor for a reason, as it was really bad; other footage may make no sense, detract from the film and produce unintended consequences.

Like I could have done without seeing Gandalf destaffed in RotK EE.

The extended version of FotR was definitely better than the theatrical release, but TTT and RotK EE versions weren't as spectacular.

Then there is the fear that the director just can't leave well enough alone. "Time's passed, new technology is available and I'm just sooo much wiser and artsier and full of myself now that I have to remake the film like I really intended (but didn't) 20 years ago."

caveat emptor.

Last edited by alatar; 04-17-2006 at 03:51 PM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote