View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #16
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

I would go further, Boro.

It seems to me that Frodo's amazing act of courage, selflesness and endurance was the single most important act ever achieved by a Hobbit in Middle-earth. He may not have been able to destroy the Ring when it came to it but (discounting Tom Bombadil) no one else could have done it either. The very fact that got the Ring to Mount Zoom - er - sorry - Doom was an incredible achievement in itself. The burden and effort involved in carrying it there was probably more than enough to overcome most. And it was through the kindness and pity that he had shown towards Gollum that the Ring was ultimately able to be destroyed.

He may have failed to willingly destroy the Ring. But I would rather put a positive "spin" on it and say that he succeeded in his Quest.

The achievements of Sam and Merry should not be underestimated, I agree. But they are surely superseded by Frodo's achievement. While Sam certainly contributed, it was Frodo who was able, through his endeavours, to bring about the circumstances whereby the Ring could be destroyed. And, in doing so, he saved the entirety of Middle-earth from falling under Sauron's thrall.