View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #91
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
You see, I'm not sure it is. For a while I've toyed with the idea of suggesting an 'Inklings' type discussion group on the Downs. The disucssion we've been having here strikes me as the kind of thing that would have gone on in Lewis' rooms in Magdelene on Thursday nights. Given what we know of Tolkien's love of getting together with companions & discussing all kinds of subjects in depth - particularly myth, religion & fairy story, but also current events philosophy & the meaning of existence - I don't see how our current debate could be considered 'unTolkien' at all. There was a great deal more to Tolkien than Middle-earth. If his religion shaped his thinking & worldview I don't see how a discussion of that subject is 'off-topic' at all.
Well, perhaps "non-Middle-Earth" is a better way to put it...

If the Mods have no issues with rampant discussion... fine by me. But, as currently defined- or as I currently understand it- it's getting off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Well. If one keeps your "neutral" terms: deep-seated preferences, without even considering, being intransigent in opinion, standing inflexibly, refusing to admit the potential of a single (other) viewpoint etc. - and then changes terms like 'christian' or 'absolutist' to something else...

Sorry Formendacil, but I don't think your own texts meet the standards you seem to be requiring from others...
I wondered if anyone would bring up those words of mine...

Perhaps it's my fault for being unable to express perfectly, concisely, and politely what I'm trying to say.

However, I hold to what I said: in general, on this thread, the Christian group (or just LMP, since he has comprised most of it, to date) has been a lot more willing to give and take, to say "you have a point".

I'm not saying that one group has been, or ought to be, accepting the other group as right. I'm not even saying the Christian group is right (although as a card-carrying member, I obviously feel that way). What I am saying is that the Christian group has thus far been more willing to say "you have a point" whereas the non-Christian group hasn't been willing to say that.

As noted, however, that is simply things as I am seeing them- on this thread. Possibly my vision is being coloured by the side of the fence that I'm on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I know many flexible and open-minded christians - as I know some inflexible and narrow-minded non-believers. That's not the case: all differences between groups are always smaller than the differences inside any given group.

It just sounds nasty to call open-mindedness from others, and then bang the others with the Truth...
So you're calling me nasty then?

That's fine with me. That's not how I intended it... but it's.... fine.

It's a call to take a closer look at what I am trying to say...