View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 12:47 PM   #103
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
It's my life, what can I say? If I take it personally, it's because it is personal... though that really doesn't mean that I should GET personal.
Hope that you've taken all that I've posted as a 'questioning,' not an attack.

Quote:
I cannot express my utter dread and horror at the idea of not having an afterlife. What POINT is there to life, if this short span -so easily ended in a car accident or a medical breakdown- is all we get. Call me whatever you like... the very idea gives me the jibblies.
After a time you figure that this is all we have, and so you better get it done now, and that when you're dead, you're dead. Now, I understand grace and works and all, but consider: I choose to live a moral and honorable life (hopefully as an example for my children, and note that I preemptively and unequivocally state here and now that I have my flaws as well, like not loving PJ's films 100% ) not for any future reward, and despite thinking that this four score is all we get. Some who believe likewise may choose hedonism, and many think that without God or a god or an afterlife that that's where we'd all be, but knowing that one day I will be stardust or worm food or whathaveyou still doesn't make me deviate from the straight and narrow way. To me it's just a simpler way to live - I'm lazy - and those who've had some science may understand it as the lowest energy state.

Compare that to some who believe in a reward.

Quote:
Saying that you are guided by reason, rather than faith, makes me laugh at the moment. I'm sorry- it's not the statement itself, but the context I find myself in when I read it. Blame it on a book I just read. Basically, it set about showing how RATIONAL a faith Christianity is, and it got my mind thinking quite a bit about lately about just how true that is. But I won't go about proving that on this thread, since that's not really what it's for, even if it remains an Inklings-esque discussion. However, if you're interested in a more private venue...
I enjoy the rationality of Christianity, until, that is, we come to the 'faith boundary,' then there is where we part company. Not that science is completely free of bias and hubris and opinion and argument from authority - it has its warts too. I just am bothered when a completely logical and fact-based argument makes some pretzel twist to hit the only permissible target in the end.

I too welcome PM discussion if anyone so desires (or if I'm beating dead equine or steering the thread into a boring corner).