View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #28
tom bombariffic
Wight

tom bombariffic has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

RADAGAST

As far as I'm aware, Radagast played very little part. The most conclusive account of his actions that I have read is in the Unfinished Tales:

Quote:
Radagast, the fourth, became enamoured of the many beasts that dwelt in Middle-Earth, and forsook elves and men, and spent his days among the wild creatures.
This is judged by Tolkien to be a faluire of his mission, as ne notes that Gandalf is the only one who "remained faithful". However, Tolkien's notes indicate that Radagast was not one of the original three chosen Istari (Olorin/Gandalf, Curumo/Saruman and Alatar). Radagast was brought by Curumo at Yavanna's begging.

My personal opinion is that Radagast deviated from his task because of Saruman's extreme contempt for him ("Radagast the simple! Radagast the fool!"), thus making Radagast feel like a burden. But that is 100% speculation on my part.

This is certainly all I know of him, but I have not read all the histories of Middle Earth. I often wonder if Radgase, Alatar and Pallando ever returned to Valinor after the destruction of the ring - If anyone has any thoughts I'd be intregued to hear them. My instinct is that the blue wizards were gone forever and that radagast would have stayed because of his love of the animals of middle-earth - but Yavanna's evident trust in him may have led her to call him back. hoom hoom.

bombariffic