View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #866
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
The ladies don't have to be in danger, but if there is a reason legitimate enough that they can't stay, there won't be as much fishing for reasons good enough to pull them along. Does that make sense?
Right, that seems to me to be the crux of the matter. The impelled-by-dreams-of-Nimrodel seemed like a good reason (to me) that they would leave on impulse, especially considering how many other characters have been 'driven' by chaotic circumstances deep within their psyche.

(Maybe the deep psychological stuff has been used enough in this game that it's a bit old by now. On the other hand it is a central theme: Tharonwe, Amroth/ Mellon, Raefindan/Imrazor... even crazy little Gwyllion.)

Reasons Bella can't stay: She's from Gondor in the first place; she's a highly skilled mapmaker; I don't see any reason they wouldn't offer her work (and rest from a harrowing journey.) Aylwen?

Reasons Mellonin can't stay: None that I can think of; her former employers (both of them) would take her back, both with Estelyn in mind; and her parents would insist on her staying, especially since her addled brother was off again-- why risk losing both their children? She's sweet on Ravion, but that's not reason to go off into the wild with him, especially since he'd rather come back on one peice, and if by chance he doesn't he certainly wouldn't want Mellonin to die with him.

Reasons Leafa can't stay: She's from Rohan and a Wanderer/ex-gypsy; Liornung thinks she should go somewhere where she will have a safe and happy home with a family of some sort. ?? Nuru?

Aside from the dreams/ madness/ inner impulsion thing, I'm drawing a blank. Anyone?

In the meantime, I'm reviewing the thread; I'm on page eight... when I catch up to where we are now, I might have some more ideas.

THe next question is, why are we getting wrapped around an axle about this anyway...? For the moment, we're trying to assemble (reassemble ) a team, with characters, and while it would be nice to have all this planned out, I guess we could postpone the decisions until Mellondu explains to his parents why he's being stalked by a seven-foot-tall elf.

I guess I'll focus on other things for a bit; please feel free to let the ideas fly.